|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The first gaoler was appointed to H.M. Gaol, Geelong on 5 February 1851 (at this time, however, the gaol was still only a watch house). As early as 1848 tenders were called for the construction of a gaol. The gaol was designed by Henry Ginn and officially opened in 1854.
By 1874 it was noted that the Gaol was being used to some extent as an invalid depot. In 1914 the prison was considered as the 'hospital gaol of the State', receiving male criminal invalids from Pentridge and other gaols. In 1924 part of the gaol was apparently proclaimed as a reformatory prison under the Indeterminate Sentences Act 1908, although this could not be confirmed by the Victorian Government Gazette.
In 1939 the gaol was evidently transferred to the Commonwealth for use as a Military Gaol. From 5 February 1947 the institution was re-proclaimed as 'H.M. Gaol, Geelong' for use by the State of Victoria. On 26 April 1972 the gaol was proclaimed as 'Her Majesty's Training Prison, Geelong' under provisions within Part IV of the Social Welfare Act 1970.
By 1990, the Geelong Prison was operating as a medium security prison with a minimum security annexe.
Geelong Prison closed in 1991 after the opening of the maximum security prison Barwon the previous year.