|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Under the provisions of the Port of Portland Authority Act 1981 (No.9635) the Portland Harbour Trust Commissioners VA 1427 was reconstituted as the Port of Portland Authority (PPA) from 13 January 1982. The reconstitution did not reflect a change in function, but rather represented an attempt to follow modern practice with respect to the naming of organisations responsible for the operations of ports throughout the world.
The PPA was responsible for the management and regulation of activities at the Port at Portland, and the associated ports of Port Campbell, Warrnambool and Port Fairy.
Functions assumed from the Portland Harbour Trust Commissioners included;
a) Regulation of the trade of the port with respect to such matters as
( landing or shipping of merchandise
( arrivals and departures of vessels
( wharfage rates;
b) Management of port facilities such as wharves, piers, jetties, dock, ships, lights, buoys, beacons, moorings, tugs, workshops, water police, emergency services and land adjacent to the ports waterways; and
c) Improvements to the Port including:
( widening and deepening the ports waterways
( construction and maintenance of wharfage accommodation, docks and other port facilities as mentioned above
( regular dredging operations
( control of noxious trades and deposits of refuse with the port boundary.
The co-ordination of the above functions was to ensure the efficient operation of all port activities.
Development since 1981
A statutory body, the Port of Portland Authority was responsible to the Minister for Public Works (VRG 28) until 1 July 1983 when overall responsibility for maritime activities, including the functions of the Authority, was transferred to the Minister of Transport (VRG 49). During the period 1991 to 1992, the Authority reported to the Minister for Ports (VRG 103) and from 1992 to 1996 to the Minister for Roads and Ports (VRG 112).
The Port of Portland Authority was abolished in 1996.
On 1 October 1986 the Ports and Harbours Division of the Ministry of Transport was integrated with Victorias three port authorities. Responsibility for port facilities and activities along Victorias western coast were divided between the Port of Portland Authority (VA 1427) and the Port of Geelong Authority (VA 1425).