|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Victorian Government Motor Transport Committee (VGMTC) (VA 1832) was first appointed by the government in 1926 to deal with the purchase and replacement of departmental vehicles and other matters relevant to motor transport.
This Committee comprised departmental officers presided over by a member of Cabinet.
Following a Committee of Inquiry Report upon the Victorian Government Motor Transport System, the Transport Regulation Board assumed administration of Government vehicles matters from September 1954. The Board was relieved of the government control function in 1957. The full administration of light vehicle operations became the responsibility of the VGMTC.
The following functions of the Committee were set out in a circular of 28 June 1957, under the signature of the Premier.
Investigation and approval of applications from departments and instrumentalities for the purchase of motor cars and utilities.
Fitting of non-standard accessories to Government-owned motor cars and utilities.
Administration of Government Hire Purchase Scheme to assist officers in the purchase of motor vehicles for official use.
Accounting for the purchase of petrol and oil by public officers in accordance with arrangements made with oil companies.
Issue of petrol passes.
Mileage rates and Commuted allowances payable to officers for the use of own motor vehicles on official business and the general supervision of actual use made of those vehicles.
Allocation of registration number plates and granting of special exemptions from fitment of such plates to Government-owned vehicles.
Distinctive marking of Government-owned motor vehicles.
Matters relating to insurance of Government owned motor vehicles and plant.
RACV membership for public officers
Investigation of accidents involving Government-owned motor vehicles.
The committee operated on a part time basis and met once a month to discuss matters arising in its area of administration. The Transport Committee had no statutory powers. It operated under the instructions detailed in the circular of the Premiers Department.
The functions of this Committee were transferred to the Government Motor Vehicle Fleet within the Property and Services portfolio in 1984.