|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Janefield Colony was opened in October 1937, situated on Plenty Road, Bundoora. Its proclamation as a centre catering for mentally deficient children was published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 27 October 1937. Janefield's function was to provide accommodation and educational instruction for these children.
The Janefield Colony was located on the site of the Janefield Sanatorium, a training farm for tuberculosis patients, run by the Australian Red Cross Society from 1920 to 1933. The first children were transferred to Janefield from Kew Cottages in 1937.
Janefield was known as a "Colony" until 1962. In October 1962 Janefield was proclaimed a Training Centre under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1959 (No.6605).
Facilities available at Janefield Training Centre included a Special School, Farm, Gymnasium and a Family Unit.
In 1985 responsibility for the Janefield was transferred from the Mental Retardation Division of the Department of Health II (VA 2695) to the Office of Intellectual Disability Services, a division of Community Services Victoria (VA 2633). In 1996, when Janefield closed, its residents were transferred to other services for people with intellectual disabilities.