|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Services
Under the provisions of the Lunacy Act 1903 (No.1873) a Licensed House was defined as a institution which held a licence granted by the Chief Secretary (VRG 26) to house one or more insane persons. To obtain a licence it was necessary to pay an annual fee and meet conditions prescribed by the Governor-in-Council.
The licensee of the institution was also the superintendent. Licensed Houses were subject to much the same requirements in terms of patient care and record keeping as the hospitals for the insane. Often the licence specified the sex and maximum number of patients it was allowed to receive.
Houses accommodating over fifty patients were required to have a resident medical practitioner. Those accommodating between twenty-five and fifty patients were to be visited daily by a medical practitioner. Every other licensed house was to be visited twice a week by a medical practitioner.
The Mental Health Act 1959 (No.6605) renamed licensed houses mental homes. Licensed Houses were administered by the Lunacy Department (VA 2864) from 1905 to 1934, the Department of Mental Hygiene (VA 2865) from 1934 to 1944, and the Mental Hygiene Branch of the Health Department from 1944 to 1978, (VA 2866).
Belmont was situated in Studley Park Road Kew. Its licence was previously owned by Glen Holme, Caulfield. The licence was transferred to Belmont in November 1922. Belmont housed female patients.
Location of Records
Some records are held. See below.