|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Functions
In 1851 the Postmaster General's Department (Chief Postmaster) assumed responsibility for postal services from the Superintendent of the Port Phillip District (VA 473).
The prime functions associated with this Department were:
Post Offices including the Post Office Savings Bank
Telegraph Services (from 1854)
Telephone Services (from 1887).
In the 1890's the Postmaster General's Department was responsible for implementing certain provisions of the Electric Light and Power Act. This function was transferred to the Public Works Department (VA 669) in 1901.
After Federation in 1901, the Commonwealth Government (VRG 87) became responsible for all post, telegraph and telephone services.
Location of Records
Few relevant records are held by the Public Record Office. Most are presumed to have been taken over by the Commonwealth and some may have been subsequently transferred to Australian Archives.
See also List of Holdings 2nd edition 1985, section 16.2.0.