|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Functions
The Real Property Act 1862 provided for major reforms in the transfer and registration of land titles. The system established is colloquially known as the "Torrens System". The Act made provision for the appointment of a solicitor to advise the Land Titles Commissioners and assist to them in carrying out the provisions of the Act and a Real Property Branch was established within the Registrar-General's Department (VA 2889).
Subsequently, under the provisions of the Real Property Amendment Act 1863, the solicitor became known as the Commissioner of Titles and assumed the powers previously exercised by the Lands Titles Commissioners, together with the judicial functions and powers previously conferred on the Registrar-General under the Principal Act. In 1864 the Real Property Branch and its staff were transferred to the Law Department (VA 864) where the Commissioner of Titles Office was established.
In 1866 following the proclamation of the Transfer of Land Act 1866 the Office of Titles (VA 2888) assumed responsibility for all functions previously undertaken by the Commissioner of Titles Office.
For more information about the "Torrens System", see VA 862 Office of the Registrar-General and the Office of Titles.
Location of Records
See also List of Holdings 2nd edition 1985, section 3.18.2