|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Following conferences of the Brunswick and Coburg municipalities, the Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Act 1914 (No.2484) was passed constituting the Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Trust. The Act provided for the construction and management of certain electric tramways in the municipalities districts of the two constituent Councils.
The Act came into operation on 17 February 1914 and the first meeting of the Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Trust was held on 21 March 1914.
The Trust was subsequently enlarged by the inclusion of the City of Melbourne by an amending Act (No.2541) the Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Act, on the 26 Oct 1914 (No.2). The first meeting of the reconstituted Trust was held on the 13th November 1914.
Constitution of the Trust
The Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Trust consisted of seven members, two being elected by each of the Councils for two years. The Chairman was elected by a conference of the Councils of the municipalities for a period of four years. In the event of a vacancy, the Minister of Public Works could appoint some person to that position.
The time and place of the first meeting of the Trust was to be appointed by the Minister of Public Works by notice in the Government Gazette. The Trust was considered to be duly and legally constituted as a corporation from the appointed day.
For the purposes of the Act, the Trust was to exercise the rights, powers and privileges of municipal councils (conferred on the Councils under the provisions of the Tramways Acts, 1890 and 1915).
The Trust was to construct, manage and operate certain electric tramways in the municipal districts of the constituent councils.
The Trust could purchase, produce, supply and use electric energy for the purpose of any tramway undertaking.
The Trust could enter into contract with any person or any corporation, invest money in government or municipal debentures, and establish funds to provide for any of the employees in the event of sickness in an accident and to pay gratuities or retiring allowances to any of its employees.
The Trust had the power to lease tramways with the consent of the local Councils and the approval of the Governor-in-Council. The rent received was to be distributed between the municipalities (after payment of interest, repayment of money borrowed by the Trust and payment of other expenses of the Trust).
The Trust was empowered to borrow money on overdraft from the bank upto ten thousand pounds. It could also borrow on debentures secured upon the security of the undertaking and upon the credit of the municipalities.
The Trust was to submit an annual balance sheet, showing its assets and liabilities and its revenue and expenditure to the local councils. The balance (if any) was to be divided between the municipalities. Deficiency of revenue was to be made good by the municipalities.
In the event of dissolution of the Trust (other than a dissolution owing to the undertaking being acquired by a general tramway authority) the surplus assets were to be divided among the municipal councils in proportion to their respective capital interests in the undertaking of the Trust.
The municipalities were required to indemnify the Trust against capital loss in the undertaking.
In the event of any dispute between the municipalities and the Trust, the matter was to be settled by the Minister of Public Works.
Tramway lines opened
Coburg Section - in Sydney Road between Moreland Road and Bell Street was opened on 27 April 1916.
Section from Bell Street to Bakers Road opened on 4 May 1916.
From Sydney Road to Park Street, East Brunswick opened on 14 August 1916.
The construction of the tramway was completed and the line was officially opened on 31 October 1916 by the Minister of Public Works. The whole system came into operation on 31 October 1916.
Dissolution of the Trust
In accordance with the provisions of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Act 1918 (No.2995) the Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Trust was dissolved. The control of the undertaking was transferred to the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (VA 2694) on 20 February 1920.
Location of Records
See list below.