|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment of the Company
The North Melbourne Electric Tramways and Lighting Company was incorporated under the Companies Act of the United Kingdom to carry on business in Victoria.
An Order-in-Council dated 4 May 1904 authorised the Councils of municipalities of the town of Essendon and the Borough of Flemington and Kensington to construct a tramway in the municipal districts. Plans and specifications were to be endorsed by the Minister of Public Works.
The Councils delegated the authority conferred by the Order-in-Council of 4 May 1904 to Alfred Edward Morgans of Perth who subsequently transferred his interest to the North Melbourne Electric Tramways and Lighting Company Limited for a period of thirty years. Following the completion of the thirty years franchise the entire operation was to revert to the respective local councils.
The Company thus claimed to act under the authority of the Orders-in-Council and also under the authority of the Flemington Road Tramways Act 1911 (No.2333), which provided for the construction of a branch tramway that formed a part of the tramways mentioned in the Order-in-Council. The company was given the right to construct, operate and maintain certain electric tramways in the municipalities of Essendon and Flemington and Kensington Borough which became a part of the City of Melbourne.
Transfer of Tramways Undertaking to M.& M.T.B.
The Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board Act 1918 (No.2995) provided for the Board to acquire from the councils of Melbourne and Essendon the tramway portion of the Company's undertaking. The Government purchased the Company's interest in both the lighting and tramway undertakings and sold the tramway portion to the M.& M.T.B.
Transfer of Electric Light and Power Undertaking to S.E.C
The North Melbourne Electric Tramways and Lighting Company Act of 21 December 1922 (No.3247) provided for the transfer of the tramway portion of the undertaking to the M & MTB and electric light and power undertakings to the State Electricity Commission.
Location of Records
See list below.
1. 11 May 1904, Government Gazette p.1425
2. 14 December 1904, Government Gazette p.3993