|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
In 1868, Trustees were appointed to administer Walhalla Cemetery, yet the site likely existed from at least 1866. The cemetery is located at the southern end of the township and was temporarily reserved in 1873. During 1894 the site was permanently reserved.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries were appointed by the Governor-in-Council. The trustees were responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for e.g. grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.