|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The State College of Victoria at Bendigo was established in 1926 as the Bendigo Teachers College. Under that name it operated until 1931 when the economic depression forced its closure. It reopened under the same name in 1945 and operated until July 1973 when the State College of Victoria Act 1972 was proclaimed and the college became known as the State College of Victoria at Bendigo. For further information about this agency, see Vision and Realisation Vol. 1.
VA 437 State College of Victoria (S.C.V.) was a federation of former teachers' colleges. Each constituent college was independent and autonomous while the S.C.V. fostered the independent growth of colleges and acted in a coordinating role for administrative and academic matters. Colleges provided training to prepare teachers for all levels of teaching in the education sector. Over time, in addition to teacher training, constituent colleges offered courses not associated with teaching. S.C.V. was a superior agency to the State College of Victoria at Bendigo.
In 1976 the State College of Victoria at Bendigo merged with VA 3091 Bendigo Institute of Technology to become the Bendigo College of Advanced Education (VA 1186) which is therefore a subsequent agency.
Location of the Records
See List of Holdings 2nd edition, 1985, 5.21.0. for records of VA 1186 Bendigo College of Advanced Education and its previous agencies and Section 5.222.0 for records of VA 437 State College of Victoria. Other records of the State College of Victoria at Bendigo are held by the archives of the La Trobe University College of Northern Victoria (VA 3089) which assumed responsibility in 1991.