|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
During the late 1960s as part of its continuing work of planning future developments, the State Electricity Commission developed the concept of an intermediate load and regulating power station, of 1000 MW capacity, to be built at Newport.
Objections to the building of the Station were raised. An agreement was negotiated between the Government and the Trades Hall Council that a Review Panel be established with appropriate Terms of Reference to reconsider the S.E.C. proposal to build a new generating station at Newport.
At its first meeting on 5 January, 1977, the Panel invited interested persons to provide submissions outlining their views on the proposed Newport D Power Station. The Panel was particularly concerned with the possible detrimental environmental effects the construction of a new power station would have, and examined a number of proposed alternate sites.
In its Final Report submitted to the Government on 27 April 1977, the Panel concluded that a 500 MW station, rather than the original 1000 MW proposal, should be built at Newport. The Panel also advised that the station be built and operate under strict Environment Protection Authority conditions to minimise its environmental impact. After the Panel's Final Report was submitted, it was wound up.