|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Gold Department was established in 1852 and oversaw the administration of Victoria's gold fields. A number of Commissioners for the Gold Fields had been appointed during 1851. During that year these were known as Commissioners of Crown Lands Gold Districts and reported directly to the Colonial Secretary. By 1852, the Department had been established.
By 30 June 1855, a total of 38 Commissioners or Assistant Commissioners had been appointed, comprising 5 Resident Commissioners, 18 Commissioners and 15 Assistant Commissioners (refer to Return of the Department of Commissioners for the Gold Fields 1 January - 30 June 1855 in VPRS 943/P0, unit 5.) By that stage, the Department had undergone considerable alteration and was reformed on 1 July under the title of the Gold Department (VA 4950).
Further research is required.