|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The site for Numurkah Cemetery was temporarily reserved from sale by order of the executive council on 22 May 1882 (Government Gazette, 26 May 1882, No. 58, p. 1170). The first trustees were appointed by the Commissioner of Crown Lands on 17 July 1882 (Government Gazette, 21 July 1882, No. 75, p. 1780).
The trustees of the cemetery resigned on 31 December 1974 and the appointment of the council of Numurkah II Shire (VA 2482) as trustees took place in March 1975, from which time the cemetery came under shire management. During this period, the lawn cemetery was reserved in 1977.
Local government administration of the cemetery trust continued after Numurkah Council was amalgamated into Moira Shire (VA 3705) in 1994. Moira Shire administered the trust until 2001 when new trustees were appointed under a new amalgamated cemetery trust (VA 5234 Numurkah-Wunghnu Cemetery Trust) administering both Numurkah and Wunghnu cemeteries.
Cemeteries are controlled by a Trust appointed by the Governor-in-Council on the recommendation of the responsible Minister. Trustees are responsible for the administration and maintenance of cemeteries, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for example: grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.