|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Campaigns by the Field Naturalist's Club of Victoria and lobbying by the Royal Society of Victoria brought about the temporary reserve of most of the park in 1898. In July 1908 Wilsons Promontory was gazetted as a National Park with the area north of the Darby River being added in the 1960s. After the gazettal a Committee of Management, consisting of honorary members, was formed to operate the area. From 1957 the management of the park came under the oversight of the National Parks Authority (known as the National Parks Service 1971 - 1983).
Under the National Parks Act 1975, direct responsibility for the management of all national parks was assumed by the National Parks Service and the Committee of Management at Wilsons Promontory became an Advisory Committee. From 1983 the National Parks Service became a branch of the Department of Conservation, Forests and Lands (VA 1034). Since 1996, Wilsons Promontary National Park has been managed by Parks Victoria (VA 4253).