|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Functions
The Ministry of Fuel and Power was established in 1965 following the proclamation of the Fuel and Power Act 1965 (No.7308). The Ministry was responsible to the Minister of Fuel and Power for determining the means by which present and future fuel and power supplies and resources within Victoria could be best developed and utilised. It played a co-ordinating role in relation to the major fuel and power authorities, the Gas and Fuel Corporation (VA 1040), the State Electricity Commission (VA 1002), and the Victorian Pipelines Commission.
From 1965 to 1975 the Ministry was administratively a sub-department of the Premier's Department (VA 2717). In 1975 the Ministry became a department of state in its own right until 1977 when it was amalgamated with the Mines Department (VA 612) to form the Department of Minerals and Energy (VA 611).
Location of Records
Few records have been transferred to the Public Record Office. See also List of Holdings 2nd edition 1985, section 3.13.3.