|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The foundation stone of the Alfred Hospital was set by Prince Albert, Duke of Edinburgh, on 6 March 1869 at the hospital's present site of approximately 6 hectares in Commercial Road, Prahran. The Alfred Hospital provisional committee held a meeting of contributors on 14 October 1870 at which the Constitution and Rules of the Alfred Hospital was passed. This enabled a management committee to be appointed consisting of 10 ex-officio members and 15 members elected by contributors. This system of management continued until the hospital was incorporated in 1910.
In December 1870 the Central Board of Health gave approval for the hospital to open. The first out-patient was accepted on 6 March 1871 and the first in-patient took one of the 12 beds then available on 13 March. With renovations and additions the hospital's capacity has increased over the years to approximately 700 beds in 1990. Services and facilities for patients have also increased and improved and the hospital currently provides a wide range of medical and support services.
Sources : Ann M. Mitchell; The Hospital South of the Yarra; Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, 1977.
: Victorian Year Book, 1966.
Location of Records
See list below and List of Holdings 1985, section 8.2.0.