|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Functions
Established in 1856 the functions of Victorias public library have been to provide reference and research library services in its own building and a support service to municipal libraries.
Apart from the enterprise of individuals such as John Pascoe Fawkner and Redmond Barry, who dispensed books from a hotel and from a residence, respectively, library development in Victoria began with the opening of the Melbourne Public Library in 1856 after two years of construction work.
Historically this agency has been known as the Melbourne Public Library (1856-1869) and the Public Library of Victoria (1869-1960). Since 1960 the Library has been referred to as the State Library of Victoria.
Location of Records
Some records are held by the Public Record Office.
See also List of Holdings 2nd edition 1985, section 3.3.6.