|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Records in the custody of the Public Record Office would suggest that H.M. Gaol, Sandhurst was established by January 1851. Although there is no indication of the existence of the gaol in the 1851 Civil Establishment, the Civil Establishment of the Colony of Victoria for the year 1856 lists a gaoler, matron and staff employed at Sandhurst.
On 22 October 1877 the gaol at Sandhurst was formally proclaimed as the 'Sandhurst Gaol' under the statute of Goals Act 1864. On 26 October 1891 the name was changed by proclamation to 'Bendigo Gaol' under the Gaols Act 1890. This proclamation was subsequently revoked on 27 November 1939. It is evident that at this time the gaol was transferred to the Commonwealth Government for use as a Military Gaol.
The establishment was re-proclaimed as 'Bendigo Gaol' on 25 March 1952. By 6 October 1954 the establishment was being referred to as 'Bendigo Training Prison' within the Victorian Government Gazette. On 26 April 1972 the institution was officially proclaimed as 'Bendigo Prison' under provisions within part IV of the Social Welfare Act 1970.
The Bendigo Prison is currently, as at 1990, operating as medium security prison.
Location of Records
See below and List of Holdings 1985 section 13.3.0.