|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Geelong Harbor Trust Commission was established under the provisions of the Geelong Harbor Trust Act 1905 (No.2012).
Under the provisions of the Port of Geelong Authority Act 1981 (No.9658), the Commission was reconstituted as the Port of Geelong Authority (PGA) from 1981. The reconstitution did not reflect a change in function, but rather represented an attempt to follow modern practice with respect to the naming of organisations responsible for the operations of ports throughout the world.
The PGA was responsible for the management and regulation of activities at the port at Geelong and within Corio Bay and the outer harbour of Geelong. In addition, the Authority was responsible for the associated ports at Queenscliff, Barwon Heads, Lorne and Apollo Bay.
The Commission/Authority was responsible for:
Regulation of the trade of the port with respect to such matters as
landing or shipping of merchandise
arrivals and departures of vessels
Management of port facilities such as wharves, piers, jetties, dock, ships, lights, buoys, beacons, moorings, tugs, workshops, water police, emergency services and land adjacent to the ports waterways.
Improvements to the Port including
widening and deepening the ports waterways
construction and maintenance of wharfage accommodation, docks and other port facilities as mentioned above
regular dredging operations
control of noxious trades and deposits of refuse with the port boundary.
Co-ordination of the above functions to ensure the efficient operation of all port activities.
Development since 1981
The Port of Geelong Authority was responsible to the Minister for Public Works VRG 28) until 1 July 1983 when overall responsibility for maritime activities, including the functions of the Authority, was transferred to the Minister of Transport (VRG 49). During the period 1991 to 1992, the Authority reported to the Minister for Ports (VRG 103) and from 1992 to 1996 to the Minister for Roads and Ports (VRG 112).
On 1 October 1986 the Ports and Harbours Division of the Ministry of Transport was integrated with Victorias three port authorities. Responsibility for port facilities and activities along Victorias western coast was divided between the Port of Portland Authority (VA 1427) and the Port of Geelong Authority.
The Port of Geelong Authority was abolished on 10 Dec. 1997. The commercial functions of the PGA were transferred to TNT Ports Ltd on 1 July 1996.
Residual functions were transferred to other agencies including the Department of Natural Resources & Environment (DNRE), the City of Greater Geelong (CGG), Victorian Channels Authority (VCA), and Parks Victoria (PV).
The Office of the Administrator assumed responsibility for the administration of the residual rights and obligations of the corporate structure of the Port of Geelong Authority.