|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The municipality was incorporated under N.S.W. Act 13, No. 40, October 1849. Geelong was proclaimed a Town on 4 June, 1858. It was proclaimed a City on 8 December 1910 by provisions of Act 54 Vic., No. 1112.
Local Government Reform
Geelong City was amalgamated with the City of Greater Geelong under the City of Greater Geelong Act 1993 on 18 May 1993. The amalgamation occurred as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78.