|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Services
Janefield Colony was opened in October 1937, situated on Plenty Road, Bundoora. Its proclamation as a centre catering for mentally deficient children was published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 27 October 1937. The function of the agency was to provide accommodation and educational instruction for mentally retarded children, particularly "severely retarded" children.
The Janefield Colony was located on the site of the Janefield Sanatorium, a training farm for tuberculosis patients, run by the Australian Red Cross Society from 1920 to 1933. The first children were transferred to Janefield from Kew Cottages in 1937.
Janefield was known as a "Colony" until 1962. In October 1962 Janefield was proclaimed a Training Centre under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1959 (No.6605).
Facilities available at Janefield Training Centre included a Special School, Farm, Gymnasium and a Family Unit. Janefield was situated in Plenty Road, Bundoora.
In 1985 responsibility for the Janefield was transferred from the Mental Retardation Division of the Department of Health II (VA 2695) to the Office of Intellectual Disability Services, a division of Community Services Victoria (VA 2633). In 1996, when Janefield closed, its residents were transferred to other services for intellectually disabled people.
For a brief account of the administration of services for mental retardation/intellectual deficiency see VRG 39 Health.
For more information about the institutions which provided services for the mentally retarded/intellectually deficient see VRG 8 Health and Welfare agencies.
Lunacy Act 1928
Mental Hygiene Act 1933
Mental Health Act 1959
Health Commission Act 1977.
Location of Records
Some records are held. See below.