|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Services
The Brightside Inebriate Retreat to house, control and treat female inebriates was established by an Order-in-Council on 19 April 1910 in accordance with the provisions of the Inebriates Act 1904 (No.1940). The Order was published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 27 April 1910.
At establishment the name of the retreat was cited as "Scarboro" however soon after its name was changed to "Brightside", (the exact date this occurred is unknown).
An inebriate was defined by the Inebriates Act 1904 (No.1940) as a person who habitually used alcoholic liquors or intoxicating or narcotic drugs to excess.
An inebriate could be admitted to a retreat on application to a Judge, the Master in Lunacy or Police Magistrate by one of the following persons:
an inebriate, or any person authorised in writing (while the inebriate was sober and fully understanding) to act on their behalf,
husband or wife, parent, brother, sister, son or daughter of full age, or business partner,
member of police force acting on request in writing of a legally qualified medical practitioner or on request in writing of a relative.
Patients could be admitted to an institution for a period not exceeding twelve months.
Brightside received both paying patients and Government subsidised patients, compulsory and voluntary patients. It was managed by the Salvation Army under the direction of the Inspector of the Inebriate Institutions who was also the Inspector General of the Insane (see VA 2864). The Inspector reported to the Chief Secretary. (VRG 26) Patients were visited twice weekly by local medical practitioners.
Brightside was closed in March 1945 when the Order-in-Council establishing the retreat was revoked.
For more information regarding the administration and development of the care and control of alcoholics, see (VRG 8) Health and Welfare Agencies.
Inebriates Act 1904 (No.1940).
Location of Records
Some records are held. See below.