|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Services
The Collingwood Asylum was situated in an area known as Collingwood Flat which today is around the area of Princess Street and Lee Street, North Carlton. Hence the Asylum was sometimes known as the Carlton Asylum.
Prior to its establishment as an Asylum it had been known as the Collingwood Stockade, an establishment for the confinement of prisoners. In 1866 the Stockade buildings were converted for use as a temporary asylum for the accommodation of lunatic patients who were being held in gaols. Collingwood was gazetted as a public asylum in October 1867. It accommodated both male and female patients.
An asylum was any public building proclaimed by the Governor-in-Council and published in the Victoria Government Gazette as a place for the reception of lunatics. An asylum could also provide wards for the temporary reception of patients as well as long-term patients.
Patients could not be retained in an Asylum without a warrant requesting their admission. Prior to 1867 the warrant was signed by the Governor. After this date the Chief Secretary (VRG 26) was responsible for this function.
In 1868 Collingwood ceased to admit acute patients who had previously been retained in the gaols. The recently opened country asylums at Ararat (VA 2841) and Beechworth (VA 2842) had eased the pressure on Collingwood to accommodate those patients. Collingwood became an establishment for the accommodation of the mentally retarded.
With the opening of the Kew Asylum (VA 2840) in 1872, Collingwood ceased to function as an independent institution, and functioned merely as a ward of Kew. In June 1873 all patients were transferred from Collingwood to Kew, and the building passed to the Education Department (VA 714).
Location of Records
Some records are held. See below.