|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Hawthorn Tramways Trust was constituted and incorporated under the provisions of the Melbourne to Burwood Tramways Act, 1914 (No.2488). The Act came into operation on 17 February 1914. The Act provided for the construction and management of certain electric tramways in the municipal districts of Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn and Camberwell and for the acquisition of a horse tramway from the Melbourne Tramway & Omnibus Company Limited.
The Hawthorn Tramways Trust consisted of nine members, two from each the constituent Councils and the Chairman. The first meeting of the Trust was held on 19 June 1914.
The Chairman was elected by a conference of the Councils of the municipalities for a period of four years. In the event of a vacancy, the Minister of Public Works could appoint some person to that position.
The time and place of the first meeting of the Trust was to be appointed by the Minister of Public Works by notice in the Government Gazette. The Trust was considered to be duly and legally constituted as a corporation from the appointed day.
For the purposes of the Act, the Trust was to exercise the rights, powers and privileges of a municipal Council (conferred on the Councils under the provisions of the Tramways Acts, 1890 and 1915.)
The Trust was to construct, manage and operate certain electric tramways in the municipal districts of the constituent Councils.
The Trust could purchase, produce supply and use electric energy for the purpose of any tramway undertaking.
The Trust was to keep part of the roadway in repair where tramways were laid.
The Trust could enter into contract with any person or any corporation, invest money in government or municipal debentures, and establish funds to provide for any of its employees in the event of sickness or an accident and to pay gratuities or retiring allowances to any of its employees.
The Trust had the power to lease tramways with the consent of the local Councils and the approval of the Governor-in-Council. The rent received was to be distributed between the municipalities (after payment of interest, repayment of money borrowed by the Trust and payment of the other expenses of the Trust).
The Trust was empowered to borrow money on overdraft from the bank up to ten thousand pounds. It could also borrow on debentures secured upon the security of the undertaking and upon the credit of the municipalities.
The Trust was to submit an annual balance sheet, showing its assets and liabilities and its revenue and expenditure to the local councils. The balance (if any) was to be divided between the municipalities. Deficiency of revenue was to be made good by the municipalities.
In the event of dissolution of the Trusts (other than a dissolution owing to the undertaking being acquired by a general tramway authority) the surplus assets were to be divided among the municipal Councils in proportion to that respective capital interests in the undertaking of the Trust.
The municipalities were required to indemnify the Trust against capital loss in the undertaking.
In the event of any dispute between the municipalities and the Trust, the matter was to be settled by the Minister of Public Works.
The Trust was authorised to acquire by purchase the horse tramway in Hawthorn from the Melbourne Tramway and Omnibus Company Ltd. The Trust could maintain, reconstruct, alter and use and operate the horse tramway and for their purpose continue to have all powers earlier enjoyed by the Company.
The Melbourne to Burwood Tramways Act, 1915 (No.2605) further increased the borrowing powers and conferred further powers on the Hawthorn Tramways Trust.
The Trust was authorised to acquire certain lands to be used as a Park under the provisions of the Melbourne to Burwood Tramways Act, 1915 (No.2) (Act No.2815, 30 December 1915)
The Trust purchased the park at the terminus of the Riversdale Road Extension. The park was formally opened on 31 March 1917.
Tramway Lines Opened
Lines opened to traffic by the Hawthorn Tramways Trust included:
Princes Bridge to Burwood
. Princes Bridge to the Car Depot - 6.4.1916
. Wallan Road and Power Street, Hawthorn
. From the Car Depot to Auburn Road, Hawthorn - 7 May 1916
. From Auburn Road, Hawthorn to Bowen Street, Camberwell - 31 May 1916
. From Bowen Street, Camberwell to Boundary Road, Burwood- 10 June 1916
. To Power Street, Burwood - 21 June 1916
Riversdale Road Extension
. From Burke Road, Camberwell along Riversdale Road to Boundary Road, Burwood - 23 December 1916
Dissolution of the Trust
Under the provisions of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Act 1918 (No.2995) the Board took over the Trust's undertaking on 20 February 1920.
Location of Records
See list below.
1. Gazette, 25 February 1914, p.1044
2. Gazette, 5 January 1916.