|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Shire of Castle Donnington was proclaimed by the Governor in Council in the Government Gazette, 30 May 1893. Three ridings were severed from the Shire of Swan Hill (VA 2516) to form the new municipality. They were the West Loddon riding, the Lower Murray riding and the East Loddon riding. The Shire of Swan Hill was re-defined in the process.
At the behest of Shire of Castle Donnington the Governor in Council used the powers available to him to change the name of the municipality from the Shire of Castle Donnington to the Shire of Swan Hill. The change was to be effective from the date of publication of the notice in the Government Gazette, 31 May 1904.
This council was abolished on 20 January 1995 as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78. The Rural City of Swan Hill (VA 3740) was appointed as the successor in law of the Shire of Swan Hill and has assumed its rights, assets and liabilities.