|Description of this FunctionDescription of this Function|
Soil erosion was noticed in Victoria as early as the 1850s and sand drift in the Mallee district was mentioned at a Royal Commission in the in the 1870s. For many years however, little interest was shown in the matter, since damage to lands in the settled districts was not widespread. As settlement developed and the cumulative effects of land exploitation began to be felt, soil erosion in various forms increased rapidly. In 1887, a committee of inquiry was formed to examine problems of river siltation arising from mining operations. This resulted in the formation of a Sludge Abatement Board in 1905. Severe floods in the 1890s started erosion on the banks of several Victorian rivers. In 1917, the more obvious forms of gully and stream erosion were investigated, and the Minister for Public Works called for the setting up of an Erosion Enquiry Committee which resulted in the formation of a River Erosion and Flood Protection Branch of the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission. Subsequently in the 1920s erosion in water catchments and the siltation of reservoirs were of considerable concern. Wind erosion and drifting sand were made more evident by new settlement in the Mallee district and by a succession of dry years, and in 1930 a Sand Drift Central Committee was formed which presented a report on erosion in 1933.
The Victorian Department of Agriculture conducted experiments on the control of wind erosion and sand drift at the Mallee research station at Walpeup and the Public Works Department undertook the control of coastal erosion. In 1937 the Government appointed a committee to inquire into the incidence and gravity of soil erosion in the State; its report was presented in 1938 and drew attention to widespread damage, not only in the hill catchments and in the Mallee, but also in many other farming areas.
In 1940 the Soil Conservation Act was passed and the Soil Conservation Board (later Authority) was formed; subsequently regional advisory committees were appointed and a number of demonstration and experimental areas were established. The Board's functions were principally research, advice an co-ordination of the activities of government departments insofar as they affected soil conservation.
The Premier took a prime role in the sponsorship of soil conservation from the late 1930's until a Minister for Conservation (VRG 55) was appointed in 1949. The staff of the Soil Conservation Board/Authority, established in 1940 by the Soil Conservation Act (No.4786), continued to be located within the Premier's Department (VA 2717) until they were transferred to the Ministry for Conservation (VA 551) in 1973.
From 1940 staff of the Soil Conservation Board, later the Soil Conservation Authority (VA 1056), were located in the Department, although from 1949 they reported to the Minister for Conservation (VRG 55). Responsibility was transferred to the Ministry for Conservation (VA 551) in 1973.
In 1945, a Bogong High Plains Committee was established and in 1946 a Royal Commission was held into the grazing of forests. This led to the passing of the Soil Conservation and Land Utilisation Act 1947 and the formation of the Land Conservation Authority, which in 1950 became the Soil Conservation Authority. The major difference between the Authority and the old Board lay in the Authority's power to direct land owners to remedy erosion, to impose conditions on the use of land to prevent erosion and to regulate the use of land in catchments.
The Land Utilisation Advisory Council, which was also established in 1950 under this legislation, had responsibility for defining catchment areas and advising the Minister and the Soil Conservation Authority on land use in any catchment area.
From 1984 the policy, planning and operational responsibilities of the Soil Conservation Authority were carried out by the Department of Conservation, Forests and Lands. In 1987 the Soil Conservation Authority was abolished and responsibility for the statutory provisions of the Soil Conservation and Land Utilisation Act 1958 (No.6372) were transferred to the Secretary of the Department and the Minister.
In 1994 the Catchment and Land Protection Act was passed, establishing the Victorian Catchment and Land Protection Council to advise the Minister on matters relating to catchment and land protection. Victoria was divided into ten regions, each with a regional board with the principal task of developing regional catchment management strategies which would address the key land and water degradation issues in each of these regions.
The Council was reconstituted in 1997 as a statutory authority and renamed the Victorian Catchment Management Council. At the same time the Soil Conservation and Utilisation Act 1958 was repealed by the Environment Conservation Council Act 1997 with the Land Conservation Council being replaced by the Environment Conservation Council.