|Description of this FunctionDescription of this Function|
Libraries, galleries and museums, together with other agencies concerned with the Arts, were grouped in the Chief Secretary's portfolio from 1855. In 1972 when a Minister of Arts (VRG 61) was first appointed, the galleries were transferred to the Arts portfolio, libraries following in 1973 and museums in 1976.
Early institutions in the Colony included the Museum of Art established in 1860 and administered by the Fine Arts Commission (1863-1869).
In 1870, under the provisions of the Library Museums and National Gallery Act 1869 (33 Vic., No.357) the National Gallery of Victoria replaced the earlier institution. The Trustees of the Public Library, Museums and National Gallery of Victoria were appointed to jointly administer the Public Library, Museums and National Gallery until 1944.
From 1944 these institutions were administered by Trustees separately appointed for each body and later by Councils such as the Council of the Trustees of the National Gallery of Victoria from 1966.
In 1972 a Minister of the Arts was appointed and assumed responsibility for the National Gallery previously under the control of the Chief Secretary (VRG 26).