Series VPRS 14657
Subject and Locality Index Cards, 'Rs' and 'C' Files
About this Series Related Series Accessing the records in this Series
Date Range: Series ? 1914 - ? 1984
  Series in Custody ? 1914 - 1984
  Contents ? 1914 - 1984
Public Access: Open
Location: North Melbourne
Format of Records: Physical
 
Agency which created this SeriesAgency which created this Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Agency Title Agency Number
? 1914 - 1983 Department of Crown Lands and Survey VA 538
1983 - 1984 Department of Conservation, Forests and Lands VA 1034
Agency currently responsible for this SeriesAgency currently responsible for this Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Agency Title Agency Number
2002 - cont Department of Sustainability and Environment VA 4554
Description of this SeriesDescription of this Series
  • How to use the Records
    Consult the Consignment Details for the unit containing the alphabetical section for which information is required.

  • Function / Content
    This series indexes Crown Reserves by type (eg aviation) and by locality and category (eg the name of a parish or township). Details given are the name of the locality and category of the reserve (eg Ararat roads) and then the number of any 'Rs' or 'C' files.

    The first Land Act passed by the Victorian Parliament (the Sale of Crown Lands Act 1860) provided that the Governor-in-Council was able to reserve lands permanently or temporarily for a wide variety of public purposes. This meant that the land was reserved from sale, leasing or licensing and from the provisions of the Mines Act. Legislation relating to Crown reserves remained under the Land Act until the passing of the Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978. Proclamation of, alterations to and any revocations of reserves were to be published in the Government Gazette. Revocation of permanent reserves was by legislation whilst revocation of temporary reserves was by Order-in-Council.

    Management of the provisions of the Land Act relating to reserves was done, from at least 1876 (and possibly prior to that) until c 1920 by the Correspondence Branch of the Department of Crown Lands and Survey (VA 538). In 1917, it was reported that the Correspondence Branch was also known as the Reserves and Commons Room. From c1920, it would appear that that management passed to the Occupation Branch. In 1978, due to Ministerial dissatisfaction with the management of Crown lands the Crown Land Management Division was created and was responsible for the broad management of Crown lands including reserves until 1985.

    From 1914 a dual system of files was used for Crown reserves. The original file raised was a 'C' file as had been the case from 1896. If the reservation was not to involve an ongoing situation the file remained as a 'C' file. This is noticeable in the late 1940s when it was apparent that Crown reserves were being reviewed, with the revocation either by legislation or by Order-in-Council of a number of them. In all these cases, where no correspondence relating to the reserve had been received for decades, the 'C' file number remained and was the final number for the file.

    It is believed that, from 1914, once a reserve was proclaimed and the details were to be published in the Government Gazette an Rs file was created. These Rs files were registered with a permanent number. Registrations are at various times a mixture of new proclamations and of old ones where new business concerning those reserves brought them to the attention of registry staff and the Rs file was then created. Most often the first entry in the file management markings was the number of an old file (pre-1896) or a C file or of a file or piece of registered correspondence forwarded from another Branch or section as denoted by the alpha-numeric correspondence registration number. It was reported in 1917 that each Rs file also had a card (or cards) which were indexed under parish and locality and in some cases, type of reservation. Some of those cards or later versions of them may have survived with the post - 1943 file movement cards. This system of 'C' and 'Rs' files continued until 1980 at least.

    Some 'Rs' files for revoked reservations and 'C' files as well as earlier files relating to Crown reserves may be found in VPRS 242 Crown Reserves Correspondence.

    It is believed that this card index was the successor to the Alphabetical Index to Reserves (1876 - 1914) which, at October 2004 is still held by Lands Victoria.

  • Recordkeeping System
    Cards are arranged in alphabetical order of subject or locality.

More research resourcesMore research resources
Indexes and RegistersIndexes and Registers
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
Controlled SeriesControlled Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
? 1943 - 1984 File Movement Cards, 'Rs' Files VPRS 14656
By 1933 - 1984 File Movement Cards, 'C' Files VPRS 14666
Previous SeriesPrevious Series
Display entries per page
Transfer Date Series Title Series Number
Subsequent SeriesSubsequent Series
Display entries per page
Transfer Date Series Title Series Number
List/s of records in this seriesList/s of records in this series
Display entries per page
Consignment Number Contents Date Range Public Access No. of Units
P0001 ? 1914 - 1984 Open 29
Indexes and RegistersIndexes and Registers
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
More research resourcesMore research resources