Series VPRS 15671
Cemetery Trust Records
About this Series Related Series Accessing the records in this Series
Date Range: Series 1865 - 1909
  Series in Custody 1865 - 1909
  Contents 1865 - 1909
Public Access: Open
Location: North Melbourne
Format of Records: Physical
 
Agency which created this SeriesAgency which created this Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Agency Title Agency Number
1865 - 1909 Melbourne Old Cemetery Trust VA 4779
Agency currently responsible for this SeriesAgency currently responsible for this Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Agency Title Agency Number
? 1922 - cont Melbourne (Town 1842-1847; City 1847-ct) VA 511
Description of this SeriesDescription of this Series
  • How to use the Records
    Refer to the records directly.

  • Function / Content
    Background

    The Melbourne Old Cemetery was in existence as a burial ground apparently from 1837. In June, 1854, the old Cemetery was closed as a burial place. However, the rights of certain parties who possessed land prior to 1850 were reserved. The cemetery was not then placed under trustees, but under a committee, the members of which were chosen from the different denominations.

    In 1864 it was re opened and placed under trustees. The final burial took place in 1917. It was closed permanently in 1922.

    In 1917, the Melbourne General Markets Land Act (No 2913) allowed the Melbourne City Council to reclaim cemetery land for the use of the market. The Council had the responsibility of overseeing the operations of the cemetery through the appointing of trustees. The Melbourne City Council was a co-trustee of the cemetery with the Board of Land and Works VA 669.

    This series consisting of miscellaneous estray records of the Melbourne Old Cemetery documenting the management of the Trust.

    The series includes:
    - Correspondence, mostly inward (received by the Chairman Mr R.H. Budd), for the period 1864 to 1909.
    - Letter from the Law Department containing the opinion of the then Attorney General as to persons entitled to bury.
    - Names of the original Trustees of the Cemetery, 1843.
    - Part of Government Gazette, 29 December, 1865, containing the Trust Rules and Regulations.

    The records held in the Registry of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne were donated to the Necropolis Trust C/o Melbourne General Cemetery. On the realisation that the records were public records, they were transferred to the Public Record Office Victoria in 2005.

    For other records transferred with this series, refer to VPRS 15670 Minute and Letter Book

  • Recordkeeping System
    There is no apparent system of arrangement and control, though the records are in a rough chronological order.

More research resourcesMore research resources
Indexes and RegistersIndexes and Registers
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
Controlled SeriesControlled Series
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
Previous SeriesPrevious Series
Display entries per page
Transfer Date Series Title Series Number
Subsequent SeriesSubsequent Series
Display entries per page
Transfer Date Series Title Series Number
List/s of records in this seriesList/s of records in this series
Display entries per page
Consignment Number Contents Date Range Public Access No. of Units
P0001 1865 - 1909 Open 1
Indexes and RegistersIndexes and Registers
Display entries per page
Date Range Series Title Series Number
More research resourcesMore research resources